Support for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses that pay business rates
The Government have introduced a business rates holiday for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses in England for the 2020 to 2021 tax year, meaning no business rates to pay during that period.
Is my business eligible?
You are eligible for the business rates holiday if it is:
- based in England
- in the retail, hospitality and/or leisure sector
Properties that will benefit from the relief will be occupied hereditaments that are wholly or mainly being used:
- as shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinemas and live music venue
- for assembly and leisure, such as sports clubs, gyms or spas
- as hotels, guest and boarding premises and self-catering accommodation
- as estate or letting agencies
HOW TO ACCESS THE SCHEME
You do not need to take any action. The discount will be applied automatically to your council tax bills commencing April 2020. Local authorities may have to reissue your bill automatically to exclude the business rate charge if it has already been issued. They will do this as soon as possible.
If you think you are eligible for the relief but have not received it, you should contact your Local Council.
You can estimate the business rate charge you will no longer have to pay this year using the business rates calculator.
Last updated: 10 Aug 2020 5:03 PM